/ Monday, February 23, 2015 / No comments / ,

Stuffed Soy Chorizo and Quinoa Peppers


I think anyone that knows me can vouch that I'm a dedicated foodie. Authentic cooking is my recipe to a happy soul and whenever I find time out of a busy schedule to whip something up I try to make the best out of it. 

So this Sunday I went ahead and made Stuffed Soy Chorizo and Quinoa Peppers.
Here's the recipe:



Trader Joe's has an awesome selection of their own tofu and soy products and you can't even tell the difference (trust me or else I wouldn't eat it.) If you have one near you and haven't checked it out yet I highly recommend using their healthy alternatives. 
For this recipe, I just cut open the casings and heated the stuffing on the skillet for about 5 minutes since the chorizo already comes prepared and will be placed in the oven later. 
If you're interested in using this recipe and don't have any soy chorizo lying around just use lean ground turkey add more seasoning and extend the cooking process on the skillet


While that started cooking I put 1 cup of quinoa with 1 and 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt for 15 minutes.


I cut half of 1 zucchini and 3/4 of 1 red onion and took out a bag of frozen sweet yellow corn to begin defrosting. Once those were cut up I placed the chorizo in a bowl and put the vegetables in the skillet for about 5-10 minutes with 1 clove of garlic until the onions were translucent. The chorizo already comes pretty well seasoned so I only added a pinch of salt and pepper to the vegetables. 

                                          

Once the veggies seemed heated up but not all the way cooked through I added the chorizo and 1 cup of chicken broth to the mix.


Once the chorizo simmered for around 5 minutes and the quinoa was fluffy and ready to go, I mixed the two in a big bowl and stuffed two large peppers and saved the rest of the mix for later. I sprinkled low fat shredded mozzarella cheese on top, covered them with aluminum foil and popped them in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.


And voila! To accompany the hearty peppers I made a light salad with artichoke hearts and cucumbers tossed in a homemade lemon vinaigrette. 

Enjoy! 

Stuffed Peppers:
  • 2 - 4 Large Peppers
  • 1 package of Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo
  • 1 cup of Quinoa
  • 1/2 a whole Zucchini
  • 3/4 of one Red Onion
  • 1/2 cup of Sweet Yellow Corn
  • 1 clove of Garlic
  • 1 cup of Chicken Broth
  • 1/2 cup of Low-Fat Shredded Mozzarella 


At 400 Degrees for 35 min.

Salad:
  • 1/2 a bunch of Romaine Lettuce
  • 3/4 can of Artichoke Hearts
  • 1/4 cup Cucumber

Vinaigrette:
  • 2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 tbs. Distilled Vinegar
  • 1/2 of a one fresh Lemon
  • Salt and Pepper 

-xo


No comments:

Post a Comment